Our latest stories.
Medieval Mile Museum
The former St Mary’s Church has been converted into a modern museum and will also be a venue for select events and exhibitions. Designed to enrich the cultural life of the city and provide a new international standard attraction for visitors the museum has several functions: as the starting point for understanding Kilkenny’s medieval history, to display Kilkenny’s Civic Treasures and replicas of some of Ossory High Crosses and to provide a space for temporary exhibitions and cultural events.
An integral part of the Kilkenny Castle Estate, Butler House was home to the Earls of Ormonde, who also built the castle, stables and coach houses at the rear of the house. It is now home to a superb boutique guest accommodation, comprising 17 bedrooms as well as meeting rooms, tea rooms, wedding and conference facilities. The magnificent Butler Gardens are a feature of the property and are host to numerous cultural events and wedding ceremonies throughout the year.
Castle Yard & KDW
Adjacent to Butler House is Castle Yard, with its crescent-shaped buildings, circular windows and copper-domed tower built by the Duke of Ormonde in 1790. In 1963 these buildings were converted to house Kilkenny Design Workshops (KDW), a state-sponsored design initiative aimed at improving the design of Irish products and increasing exports.